04/06/2019 by Dr Philip Bazire 0 Comments
OBJECTIVES OF THE BAZIRE MEDICAL WEIGHT-LOSS CLINIC
A brief introduction to the aims of the Bazire Medical Weight-loss Clinic
I would like to write a little about my approach to weight management.
As a doctor, my primary objective is health. Overweight and obesity are serious risk factors for many chronic diseases, such as type 2 diabetes, heart disease, and even cancer; but losing weight is difficult and we need to help those who want to do so. Why? Well, look at some of the figures:
1. Two thirds of the UK population is now overweight and over a quarter of the population is obese! Obesity has risen from 15% in 1993 to 26% in 2016!
2. The majority of type 2 diabetics are overweight.
3. NHS spending on antidiabetic medication is now over £1,000,000 per hour!
4. Obesity is recognised as an important risk factor for cancer, second only to smoking!
As doctors, it is our duty to alert patients to the risks they may be facing and to provide solutions where we can. And that is my aim in the Bazire Medical Weight Loss Clinic.
There are many ways to get the pounds off, and each individual must be helped to find the method that he or she is most likely to be able to stick to. It is important not only to get the weight off, but also to keep it off. That's where a multidisciplinary approach, with doctors, dietitians/nutritionists, coaching and personal trainers, has been shown to be particularly effective. Each professional has a role, and each is important. A doctor should be involved because we are treating a disease, with pathological changes in body tissues and organs. It is only with a profound understanding of the metabolic effects of what, when and how much we eat, of the hormonal environment, and of the underlying tissue alterations, that we can safely and effectively achieve quality weight loss.
A lot of weight-loss specialists reject rapid weight loss because they say that the weight comes straight back on. If you choose a fad diet with poor nutritional control, that is likely to be true; but 3 decades of research has now shown that rapid weight loss using modern, medically controlled programmes is more effective in the short term and has better long-term maintenance than slow weight-loss methods. What are the advantages of rapid weight loss?
1. Your motivation is better maintained because you can see results early in the diet. Imagine what it is like to lose half an inch off your waist every week. And compare that with those who have given up because they see it's going to take them a year or more to lose all the weight they have to lose. Put another way, many people are able to diet for 2 to 3 months. Why not lose 2 to 3 stone in that time instead of just 1?
2. Your risk of the diseases associated with obesity is rapidly reduced. Just think of the difference between taking a year to get out of the medical classification of obesity or only taking a couple of months; yes, that can be the difference in the rate of weight loss. That would be an extra 10 months of reduced risk.
3. Clinical trials have shown that long-term maintenance is better after rapid initial weight loss than after slow weight loss (another day I'll publish a summary of some of these trials).
At the Bazire Medical Weight Loss Clinic, a multidisciplinary team led by myself as doctor will provide you with an evidence-based, medically supervised
programme for rapid weight loss with long-term follow-up, the PronoKal Method. Clinical trials have demonstrated the efficacy and safety of PronoKal, as well as its excellent long-term maintenance – after a 4-month weight-loss phase, the average weight loss was over 20 kg (over 3 stone), and more than half of our patients kept off more than 10% of their original weight at 2 years, a success that other programmes have found hard to equal. Furthermore, with this diet, the weight loss has been shown to be almost all fat rather than fat plus muscle (a low-calorie diet is recognised to produce weight loss that is about 75% fat and about 25% muscle; in clinical trials, weight loss with the Pronokal method has been shown to be over 90% fat and less than 10% muscle).
We will guide you through the different phases of the diet, helping to keep up your motivation. Once you have reached your desired weight loss, we will stay in contact with you to help you keep that weight off. And if some of it starts to creep back on, we are there to help you before it becomes a problem, enabling you to control it through lifestyle rather than going back on another diet.